An authoritative introduction to professional lighting design for architects, interior designers, and engineers
Lighting is an essential component of any designed space, yet it is one of the most difficult to get right. Lighting Design Basics, 4th Edition provides a fundamental grounding in architectural lighting concepts, processes, and techniques that every student should master. The book offers a carefully balanced combination of design and technology instruction and provides a great deal of graphic information, complete with plan, section, and three-dimensional drawings.
The authors examine over 25 different design scenarios with in-depth rationales for proposed solutions, insightful distribution diagrams, floor plans, and details for lighting installation and construction. Immersive instruction on real-world settings accompanies practical guidance suitable for immediate application in everyday projects.
Lighting can make or break any space, and design choices impact the cost and comfort of the building over the long term. Lighting Design Basics provides a critical foundation and prescriptive techniques to help future architects and interior designers make smart design choices. This new edition provides readers with:
- A new chapter, entitled Light and Health, covering the physiological aspects of lighting design
- Updated LED technical content with coverage of light sources, luminaires, controls, quantity and quality of light, color rendition, and calculation software tutorials
- Explorations of industry codes and additional material on sustainable practices
- Thorough discussions of lighting in residences, workspaces, educational facilities, healthcare spaces, retail stores, and hospitality environments
- The basic skills required to become competent in the field, and prepare for the NCIDQ and NCARB exams