You don't need a lawyer to win in small claims court if you know how to prepare and present your case. Properly preparing for your day in court can make the
difference between receiving a check and writing one.
- file and serve papers
- mediate an out-of-court settlement
- prepare evidence to support your case
- decide the amount to sue for
- line up persuasive witnesses
- present a winning case, and
- collect money when you win.
techniques you can use to settle your small claims case--or any other
disagreement you might have--without going to court. You'll also find the latest
procedures for small claims courts in every state, sample letters, legal forms,
and links to other resources, including an online statute of limitations chart
that will help you determine when you must file your case.