You’ve written a book. Congratulations!
Here’s how to get a small press or self-published book onto BTC’s shelves …
1. Read this very informative article FIRST to gain “a realistic understanding about the bookselling business” and why our policy stands as it does: So you wrote a book — now what? by David Unowsky.
2. It’s best if you make an appointment in advance to speak to us about your book. Email us for an appointment with our buyer. The following information MUST be submitted within:
Pricing retail / wholesale (must be at least a 42% discount to be considered, covers the consignment/stocking fee charged by some bookstores):
Is it available as an eBook?
Your connection to Telluride or the southwest:
Contact information for author (phone/email/address for book returns):
Website/blog address for author and/or book:
A copy of or synopsis of the book:
List of other retailers stocking the title:
Advertising/marketing undertaken by the author:
Events and gatherings executed or scheduled:
JPEG image of cover art and author headshot for marketing and web use
3. Sending this information DOES NOT guarantee plcement on our shelves or a reading/signing. Please note that unless we are familiar with you or your past work, an author event will only be booked once the book has proven to be a seller (reread 3a in the article cited above).
4. Authors MUST link to BTC’s website from their own website(s).
5. Please review the policy below prior to your meeting.
1. Refrain from sending us pages of reviews from Amazon. Nanci McCloskey of Tin House Books said it best: “Reviews don’t sell books, booksellers do.” And besides, when’s the last time Amazon booked and staffed a cozy evening for you, dedicated to your labor of love? Hearing directly from you about what inspired you to put pen to paper and most importantly, why your book is relevant to our market, is a much better strategy.
2. Sign up for our newsletter through this website, like us on Facebook (Between the Covers Bookstore & Cafe), follow us on Twitter (#BTCTelluride), and make a personal vow to forever support brick-n-mortar bookshops throughout the galaxy.
IF YOUR BOOK IS ACCEPTED INTO BTC INVENTORY:
1. Self-published books are taken on a consignment basis only. Consignment author sales reports are pulled and paid quarterly (January 2, April 1, July 1, October 1).
2. If the title does not sell within a year, it will be returned to the author via USPS at an address furnished by the author. If an alternative method of shipping is desired, the cost will be incurred by the author. Books may also be picked up in person.
IF AN EVENT IS SCHEDULED:
1. BTC will do the following: Post the event on the Upcoming Events page and list it on the Local Authors page of this website, make and post fliers, forward your concise and well-edited press release to local newspapers and webzines, send a short blurb to KOTO-fm, post on our Facebook and Twitter pages, and display the book in either a window or front counter a few days prior to the event.
2. The author agrees to encourage friends and family and other contacts to purchase your book at BTC or through this website as well as specifying in all your communications to professional contacts that your title is available at BTC.
3. The author agrees to show up at least 20 minutes prior to the event, prepared for the format that was agreed when the event was booked.
4. Please note that BTC may sometimes schedule author events at the Wilkinson Public Library, one block southeast of the store.
THANKS for hanging in there regarding our policy! It’s a tough world within which we, both you and BTC, peddle our wares. For more info on publishing your book, we recommend the following title: